Cooling systems in rental properties

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
15 Aug 2023 12:27 PM by LucyWales Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

Hi, I'm new here and so glad I found this site.

I have been toying with the idea of buying a property in Spain to rent and holiday in for a few years before retiring there eventually.

I have found a lovely property which I think meets my needs in La Rabita - however on reading the rental rules I can see that it has to have a cooling and heating system in order to rent it out.

'Have cooling and heating systems via fixed elements (e.g. air conditioning) in bedrooms and living areas.
Cooling systems are obligatory for holiday lets from 1 May to 30 September and heating for lets between 1 October and 30 April.'

Does the cooling system have to be air conditioning?  It is already fitted with ceiling fans in some rooms.
If it does have to be air conditioning does anyone know an approx price to have this installed please?  

Thank you
Lucy

This message was last edited by LucyWales on 8/15/2023.

Like 0      
15 Aug 2023 1:38 PM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1314 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

Hello Lucy

For air conditioning heating and cooling units, you first need to know what you require. How many rooms do you have including kitchens and bathrooms, and then what is the square footage for each room, then multiply by 20 and then multiply by 12,000 to get how many British Thermal Units (BTU) are needed to remove within an hour. 

Be aware air conditioning can be expensive on electricity consumption and you may get the odd guest who will have it on full 24/7 even when they have gone to the beach for the day.

So-called ‘’Cooling Fans’’ only move the air around and provide no heating.

Like 0      
15 Aug 2023 2:20 PM by LucyWales Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

Thank you Kavanagh, I doubt we would rent throughout the Winter months so will probably just concentrate on the cooling systems. 
I was hoping the ceiling fans would be acceptable? 

but great info about the air conditioning costs. Thank you so much 

Like 0      
15 Aug 2023 2:50 PM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1314 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar
DECREE PUBLISHED ON 11th FEBRUARY.   THE JUNTA DE ANDALUCIA HAS NOW ISSUED A NEW DECREE, APPLICABLE AND IN FORCE FROM THE 12th OF MAY 2016 FOR RENTAL PROPERTIES IN SPAIN.

In order to fulfil with the regulations of the Decree, the property used for holiday rental must obey the following requirements:

• The property to be sufficiently equipped and furnished for immediate use.
  • The property to be fitted air conditioning units in all bedrooms and lounge areas that provide cooling (if rented from May to September) and heating (if rented from October to April).

Like 0      
15 Aug 2023 5:19 PM by LucyWales Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

That seems pretty clear - no ceiling fans allowed. Thanks again, I'll look into costings before going ahead. 

Like 0      
18 Aug 2023 9:24 AM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

It might be a requirement to have A/C in the Lounge and Bedrooms but I wouldn't advise anyone to fall asleep 😴 with a A/C unit running not only is it very expensive to run it is not advisable to do so ...hence the reason I have a ceiling fan running at slow speed to keep the air moving..incidentally all A/C units are what is call reverse cycle meaning they are capable of blowing both Hot and Cold.

Like 0      
18 Aug 2023 9:24 AM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

It might be a requirement to have A/C in the Lounge and Bedrooms but I wouldn't advise anyone to fall asleep 😴 with a A/C unit running not only is it very expensive to run it is not advisable to do so ...hence the reason I have a ceiling fans running at slow speed when sleeping  to keep the air moving..incidentally all A/C units are what is call reverse cycle meaning they are capable of blowing both Hot and Cold.

This message was last edited by windtalker on 8/18/2023.

Like 0      
18 Aug 2023 4:05 PM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1314 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

Hello Windy

Why is it not advisable to sleep in a bedroom with air conditioning on? Is there any official government health warning on this?

Like 0      
18 Aug 2023 6:52 PM by LucyWales Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

I'm surprised at the ruling to have AC installed - I thought they were limiting the use of it in hotels due to climate change? I'm also curious why you won't leave it on all night? I tend to leave it on all night when holidaying. 

Like 0      
18 Aug 2023 8:09 PM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1314 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

It is only hotels trying to save costs using the excuse of climate change. Under the laws of human rights a person has the right to heat and cool their environment to a safe living standard provided it is done in a fully legal and approved method.

5 star hotel Benidorm 

Like 2      
19 Aug 2023 5:32 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1221 posts Send private message

Fair few myths around aircon. The hotels (and shops and government offices) still use it but must keep it at no less than 27C for cooling and no more than 19C for heating. We have ours in the living room on at 26C which is just right. Doesn't get too cold and just a pleasant temperature.

If you get the right type then it is one of the cheapest ways to heat or cool a room. We have a ducted system that cools the living room and bedroom/dining room downstairs and the another that does both bedrooms upstairs. Each is 1.5Kw which gives out up to 4Kw in heat or cooling. It's 19cents per kwh day and 8cents per kwh night. When first switched on one running will cost just under 30 cents an hour day and 12 cents an hour at night.

Once the room is at the right temperature, the inverters slow down using less electric. They do not switch off so don't use the electric for the expensive bit of turning on again, simply run a bit more until it cools down again.

For the heat, you would need 4 x 1kw fires running which would be 76 cents an hour to run in the day instead of the 30 cents max for the aircon. 

We also, with the ducted system, have a vent blowing new air in but another vent taking the old air out so no problems with the air getting stale if we have it on at night.

Now, I do love it here in Spain but the last couple of years have been showing ridiculous temperatures with very tropical nights. We've had it more often last year and this year than previous years. Having it on all night only costs about a euro which is well worth it in this heat. Not on much in the day, just when having the evening meal as it's been getting too hot eat outside lately. But although it is cheaper than other forms, even just using 2 euro a day will put 60 euro on your monthly bill. Our normal bill usually a few euro under 50 euro a month but this month's forecast is 96 euro, but boy is it worth it.

Oh, the plus side is the winter months stayed very warm this year and we didn't use it for heating at all. 

Like 3      
25 Aug 2023 3:27 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1221 posts Send private message

Going back to providing aircon, the mandatory installation in rentals seems to be an Andalucian decree.

In the Valencian region, they have three standards for rentals, standard (E), Primera (P) and Superior (S).

E propertries have no requirements for aircon or heating. P requires aircon in living areas but not mandatory in bedrooms and S require aircon in living areas and bedrooms.

Heathing (from October to April) is the same except that heating in P properties require it in bedrooms as well.

Like 1      
25 Aug 2023 3:51 PM by LucyWales Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

Yes, thanks - both properties I've been interested in have been in Andalucia - typical lol 

thanks everyone got your responses they've been very helpful. 

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Looking for legitimate holiday rental - 0 posts
Recommendations for car hire at Malaga airport - 3 posts
Taps - 3 posts
De- Banking - 9 posts
Spanish income Tax for a UK 🇬🇧 expats. - 11 posts
excess energy from solar panels - 4 posts
How to find who owns GE Mortgage book now? - 6 posts
Murcia area -20 year rule for legalisation. - 20 posts
Touring caravan - 6 posts
UK to Spain (Madrid) - 1 posts
Calls to UK - 2 posts
Only 1,800 British Citizens have entered Spain on a NLV since its introduction. - 14 posts
Only 1% of new builds being bought by the British - 13 posts
Builder changed quote and over charging. Threatening court if I don’t pay the extra - 3 posts
Scammers on EOS by Private Messages - 2 posts
As a UK guy what is the difference between 'Saldo Actual' and 'Saldo Disponible' for Spanish current accounts (say BBVA for example) - 7 posts
Ayúdame a elegir hosting para mi sitio web - 0 posts
La ley mordaza - 0 posts
Jatar - 0 posts
Duty to repair - 2 posts
Energia XXI no bills since December 2022 - 2 posts
Property - 2 posts
Question on setting up cycling holiday company from the UK - 1 posts
Necessary Repairs - 1 posts
Sailing to Spain Ferry membership - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 13

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x