Funeral Plan Sellers

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
05 Jun 2023 6:10 PM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1314 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

Funeral plans are not regulated in Spain. There are no legal requirements for Funeral plan providers to be regulated, and there is no regulatory body for funeral planning although there is a code of practice. 

You may as well hand money over to a stranger in the street. 

Like 1      
06 Jun 2023 7:22 AM by acer Star rating. 1528 posts Send private message

Thanks for yours Kavanagh.  I admire Spain in many ways but they are 50 years behind the times on some basic Consumer legislation.

A Code of Practice is likely to be unenforceable in the first place - particularly if the seller has done a runner with your money.

But I don't understand why people buy Funeral Plans in the first place - isn't Life Assurance a better deal?

Like 0      
06 Jun 2023 12:28 PM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1314 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

You are correct acer. Many of the public are naive and just believe whatever they are told. You constantly get these expert funeral plan sellers in the supermarket foyers who will persuade you with all their lies that you are a fool if you don’t buy a plan, yesterday they were selling dog biscuits.

Like 1      
06 Jun 2023 12:51 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

Just like those that win umpteen millions on some far away foreign lottery, send thousands of to collect winnings, and openly admit they were surprised they won because they never entered it.

Like 2      
07 Jun 2023 5:28 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1221 posts Send private message

And yet virtually all Spanish families have a funeral plan or funeral insurance in place. As most funerals in Spain take place within 2 days, they feel it important to have everything ready..

My bank manager was rather surprised when I told him we didn't have funeral insurance and he said that was very unusual in Spain as it is quite difficult to get things in place without it. 

Like 0      
07 Jun 2023 6:15 PM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1314 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

That may be the case, but is that because the Spanish are used to having no or negligible financial regulation and therefore forced to take financial risks?

Does your bank manager and his staff sell unregulated funeral plans?

This message was last edited by Kavanagh on 6/7/2023.

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

renewing passport - 22 posts
Am I a "squatter"? - 13 posts
A Real Indiana Jones - 0 posts
Leeds Bradford to Murcia Ryanair Winter Flights Cancelled - 1 posts
Changing to individual water accounts - 9 posts
Dance Teacher - 0 posts
Keeping Your Cash Safe - 10 posts
Residencia query - 3 posts
Change in Administator -AGM or EGM - 10 posts
What Spanish Banks should offer every UK mortgage holder ( 2 x 1) - 13 posts
I'm spanish, maybe moving to Tenerife (various questions) - 0 posts
Solicitors fees - real or imagined - 0 posts
plusvalia - 5 posts
Off plan purchase -warning - 69 posts
Dilemma - 15 posts
Layz Spa parts - 0 posts
Personal Injury Lawyers - 7 posts
Proxy votes AGM - 4 posts
Transferring pension to spain - 10 posts
Freeware Accounting Progam for a Small Club/Association - 1 posts
need to change uk address - 59 posts
IBI tax on property - 14 posts
Debt status certificate - 68 posts
Pet passports after No Deal Brexit - 25 posts
Motor homes - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 26

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x