Exhibition Frolicks

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
22 Mar 2007 3:22 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar
Yes it comes down to the person and not the nationality - anyway wasnt all the world British at some stage?

Quite frankly m'dear, I don't give a damn!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
22 Mar 2007 11:36 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar
Bit like the Yanks arriving in London then - yes nearly the whole world used to be coloured pink - it must have been such a lovely pretty place

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      
23 Mar 2007 10:24 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar

eckon a lot of it is still pink! I found that out sunday night in UK only place open all these gorgeous guys but all PINK!!!! boo hoo

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
05 Apr 2007 1:29 PM by Gillespie Star rating in Costa Calida Area. 608 posts Send private message

Gillespie´s avatar
Have a good exhibition Rixxi hope it works well for you. Oh, and stay off the Guiness or you´ll need your Ecquadorian cool box!

Business advice and consultancy - Visit www.calidain2business.com

Calida in2 Business - Spanish Property Clearance.

www.spanishpropertyclearance.com

Like 0      
05 Apr 2007 1:56 PM by JeansSis Star rating. 2376 posts Send private message

JeansSis´s avatar

This message was last edited by JeansSis on 5/19/2007.

Like 0      
06 Apr 2007 3:00 PM by Juan Pánzon Star rating in Marbella. 156 posts Send private message

Juan Pánzon´s avatar

Gillespie,

"It must be annoying for Argentinians who remember the Malvinas/Falklands conflict to arrive in Spain only to find Britain has another Island off the coast of Spain!  Bet it makes them feel like occupying the Isle of White - mmmm that´s ok with me! "

Not at all my friend.... Argentina and Great Britain have enjoyed allways very good relationships..... actually, England invaded the city of Buenos Aires TWICE, in 1806 and 1807 being expelled by the local militia, TWICE ( generals Whitelocke and William Carr Beresford) let us be fair and say that this events took place in the frame of the war with the republican France ( who had invaded Spain then) but the thing was there.... and you know, perhaps this invasions were the events who sparked the Argentina revolution and the independence from Spain as a result, just a few years later... if we were cappable of defeating the mighty British Army, then we could very well be independent.

In 1833, the SIXTH consecutive Argentine governor, Mr Louis Vernet was forcibly removed by the HMS Clío from the Malvinas/Falklands, on "advise" fron captain Silas Duncan from the USS Lexington, who just happened to "intervene" bombarding from his ship the Argentine village in "defense" of unlicenced American seal hunters who were doing disasters in the area and thus placed in prisson...... the very same type of thing that horrifies all of us when watched on TV... since then, Argentina claimed actively everywhere, remember there was UN´s since only since 1945....for the claim of sovereingty over the Islands.... in 1968 an agreement for a "Lease back agreement" was dealt, but it was killed in the parliament by the FIC lobby..all under the "Decolonization plan of the UN"....... so perhaps the Argentine claim has validity in the eyes of part of the international community... and the "wishes" of the 1,800 inhabitants. (Not enough people to fill a movie theathre in Buenos Aires), are the clue of the conflict...... they have the key for the resolution of this conflict.... as the British government has heard at least twice the call to negotiate in the late 60´s.... I think that the key lays not in the wishes, but in the interests of the islanders..... and that was respected as the holy bread even during wartime..., remember...not a single victim, neither casualty... none, ZIP....

A pitty that such a noble cause was bastardized in the international eyes by a mentally retarded junta, which members were perhaps briliant individually ( as I met one of them) but as a whole they made all the bad decissions staining the name of the cause perhaps forever, once again in the international view.....

In 1982 that stupid and horrible "Junta" used the most sacred of the Argentine people´s cause, the recovery of the sovereignty over the Malvinas/Falklands to survive a bit more... at the end.... it was the last spade of dirt over their own grave...... And they were so, but so stupid of doing it just when Mr. ( not Mrs Thatcher) was in command of the FIC ( Falklands Islands Company)...

So, no sense of vindiction, no desire for other thing than friendly relationships with the UK, Argentina was there when it was needed, perhaps there were no troops, but thousand of Argentine/English fought with bravery agaisnt the NAZIs and in defense of Britain, but the corned beef arrived allways in time when most needed, the enourmous ammount owed then was "cancelled" receving surpluss military equipment and British owned railways.... and many debts were simply ·"forgotten"... among them 100 Gloster Meteor.... and100 Lincolns that nobody really needed and they ended up rusty and some in museums.... and almost a full fleet...

Anyway, I think that both countries will sooner or later will have to sit down and talk again, Britain has always been benefited of a good relationship with Argentina as well as Argentina has, and let us recognize that the futbol games are always to remember !!  Altough, and it is the 2nd time I mention this on this forum, Rugby seems to be a trend now, specially since the last test match between the Lions and the Pumas at Twickenham, a couple of months ago? Did anybody see the game? Or were you all watching old chapters of "Red Dwarf"?

Cheers guys, I am convinced ( let me tell you I´ve read a lot about it during the last 25 years ) that "Las Malvinas son Argentinas", from the Jurudical, geographical and historical point of view, but civilizelly convinced and I would never start a war for them, but  a nice discussion very well founded, yes ...... It is a question of time... Argentina must grow, develop even more and become atractive to Islanders eyes and in the meantime, gestures of goodwill, like the answer to ONE single diplomatic note on the matter would  make everything easier for everyone..... The "cultural shock" would not be certainly harder than the one Hong Kong suffered...... I´ve recently been to H-K an so I know....

Last April the 2nd was the 25th anniversary of the recovery of the Malvinas/Falklands islands by Argentine forces..... there are many interesting articles in the papers these days regarding that, one specially controversial was published by "The Guardian", I only have tthe Spanish version but I am sure it is still online. It is worth mentioning it as perhaps it is a bit diluted in British minds but still there in the Argentime dreams.

Cheers and I do not understand how this "statement" appeared here !!!!

Juan.

Like 0      
08 Apr 2007 9:26 PM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

H Juan Pánzon

I thought your's and other nationalities, had been "done down" by some of EOS's posters on this thread (shame on you all).......

You obviuosly are a patriach, like we all are to our own countries.

I know from previous posts which country you hail from.

Good on you mate! You sure know your history and put it across well too.

Wonder why you had no replies?

Me thinks it's because your post was so well written, that there was no answer to be had.............

Respect.....................

FibbyUK

One off fee to pay your own La Renta tax (210 Form)
Check out my website:

http://www.payingtaxesinspain210form.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Like 0      
09 Apr 2007 4:14 PM by Juan Pánzon Star rating in Marbella. 156 posts Send private message

Juan Pánzon´s avatar

HI Fibby,

Many thanks for your friendly post....... I did dropped it in here because I wanted to explain the feelings to my mate Gillespie as he was wondering..... the post came long as it was written a couple of days after the 2nd of April "the day of the recovery"  and I was remembering friends that fell in combat..... remembering stories from the time which I lived very "intensely" as boys one year older than me went to fight there ( yes, I barely missed the "cut").  I am also a "frustrated combat pilot" so I know that part of the Argentine history very well..... I do not know how to explain it clearly, but the "Malvinas/Falkland is like a thorn of the Argentine side since 175 years....   It brings memories..... strong feelings...

Sorry for posting this in this exhibition thread, perhaps Justin would like to move it somewhere else.

Also, trough this forum, I made a friend that fought in the conflict when he was 17 years old..... he was in the HMS Antelope when it was blown out on San Carlos Water ( also known as the "bomb alley" ) and we exchanged letters of mutual respect and remembrances..... we had long conversations and even he sent his best wishes to the family of the pilot that sunk his ship ( 1st Leutenant Guadagnini) trough me..... I am surprissed to find out since I arrived in Europe that the "then enemy" has very little "harsh feelings"..... I even visit RAF friends in their bases and we have long conversations, they know I am Argentine and all that, but still invite me to visit them and..... I must say that one of my favourite places on earth is RAF Valley, in the beautiful island of Anglessey...... and considering the horrible losses of the Welsh Guard during the conflict ( Bluff Cove) they received me as a friend and showed me a lot of respect for their then "enemy" which I have transmited in due course to my friends in the Fuerza Aerea Argentina.

I hereby invite whoever willing to have a civilized conversation or exchange of e-mails on the matter....... it is about time that we realize how unnecessary that conflict was, perhaps in the future things could be diferent and both countries could work together on the area under ANY formulae.......

Cheers, and thanks for listening !

Pánzon.

Like 0      
09 Apr 2007 4:25 PM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Hi Juan,

I wish you could have met my Dad..................unfortunately he did in Oct 2005 aged 81.

He served in WWII as a young sailor aged 18. He was on the landing craft.

Before he died, he spent many many hours writing his memoirs of the war years.

It was written by hand and took many many hours.

He loved to talk about his experiences and would have entertained you no end!

We are having his memoirs printed at the moment, it should make interesting reading!

I know it's a different war to the one you speak of, but in the end, all wars are the same arn't they?

Kind regards,

FibbyUK

Check out my website:

Like 0      
09 Apr 2007 4:37 PM by Juan Pánzon Star rating in Marbella. 156 posts Send private message

Juan Pánzon´s avatar

Fibby,

Please let me know when the memoirs of your Dad come in printing ! I will buy the first copy if possible.  A pitty your Dad departed this world already, I would have loved to have the chance to talk with him as I am very interested in the WWII....... what a disaster.

My Granddad was a foot soldier in the WW I, inmediatelly after he emigrated to Argentina in search of a future, which he got as he reached the Siemmens Argentina top positions...... He died when I was 16...... and after his death, my father found among his belongings a very-very small booklet where he left his memoirs of the war to which he went with 17 years old..... My Dad "closed himself" for several days reading the story of the WW I from his point of view in that very small print In which my Granddad left his memoirs.... I remember him crying like a baby as my Grandad NEVER wanted to talk about the war..... to NOBODY.....  Unfortunatelly, that "document" is lost now..... I think I would work hard on my German in order to be able to read it now.... at that time, my dad thought it was not a story for a boy...

Cheers,

Like 0      
09 Apr 2007 6:08 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

Wonder why you had no replies?

Me thinks it's because your post was so well written, that there was no answer to be had.............

Respect.....................

The reason, Fibby, is that those of us who were there only speak about it to others who were there.

We keep our  stories for reunions, unless we happen to be red-tabbed warriors who make a fortune writing books about it.

Like 0      
09 Apr 2007 8:04 PM by Juan Pánzon Star rating in Marbella. 156 posts Send private message

Juan Pánzon´s avatar

Hello Baobaol,

You were there I think, do you think that perhaps one day we can sit down with a beer or two and have a chat? no driving envolved afterwards? I am not interested in the story as it is well documented, but I am extremelly interested in the personal experiences of the combatants... from their eyes, I want to understand the feelings towards this matter.

I think in the UK, the veterans have better treatment than in my homeland...... over there.....  barely recognized their efforts.... let us say that last 2nd of April, the 25th anniversary.... the President was "AWOL"... from the official ceremony....

bah.... as you say, veterans normally just want to keep those things for themselves.... but such 3 months of intense conflict, in hindsight are extremelly interesting for me I would love the oportunity to meet you. Were you Royal Marines?  Royal Army? RN ? RAF? NAS 801? NAS 802?

I prommisse It would be a nice chat, you will find me knowledgeable on this matter.

My best regards my friend.

Juan.

Like 0      
10 Apr 2007 1:15 AM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar

Well what a hectic few days this has been! Left Spain on thursday for a 4 day show. 4 DAYS!!!!!! so with all the preparation and office move its been rather unsettling!

And of course, the weather in Ireland was better than here, the first time I have had more clothes on leaving Spain than a norther european country!

Stayed in a lovely hotel 4 star but for some reason the management decided not to have kettles in the room! I had to keep ordering room service to get a cup of tea!!!

Friday was a poor day people wise. Really quiet. I got a couple of leads and no more. Hardly anyone to attend any of the seminars either so the presenter of Househunters in the Sun and I just talked about the auction process. That was fun.

That night here was I showered, changed and raring to go.  Downstairs to the bar to start the celebrations only to be told serving only to 10pm!! Its a religious day and so bars, pubs and restaurants shut and not allowed to serve drink!

I told them I wasnt Catholic and this was descriminatory, but alas to no avail. And I argued that surely after all that struggle, Jesus would have wanted a drink! Oh and that had wine at the last supper and all that, but no way Pedro! Nada! Not a drop. Still. they restarted at 12 and luckily one of the gilrs had bought a bottle of vodka so.............

Saturday also still really quiet. Freddie06 came to the show and so we had our meet!! (shame on the others not bothering to turn up) nothing much to report that day

Had nice meal out with some clients (they paid as well) which was a nice quiet evening for me. I must be getting old!

Sunday, missed the kids getting their eggs but I had hidden them around the house so I got an early morning call with son wanting to know where they were! Also quiet but more people turning up in the afternoon. To be honest the weather was too nice so a few of us slipped away early and went to the pub!

Monday! Normally I am going home so difficult to be staying another day. hey ho! Actually quite busy today and enjoyed the auctions and talks with a larger audience, but it goes to show how the market has quietened with the Irish.

Home tomorrow and back to work on wednesday. Have a good evening guys!!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
10 Apr 2007 1:37 AM by JeansSis Star rating. 2376 posts Send private message

JeansSis´s avatar

Like 0      
10 Apr 2007 1:46 AM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar

I wish I had! It was a real pain cos at 4 or 5am I didnt want to bother calling down then have a stranger bringing tea to the room!

And they charged 3.50 euros per tray! I could have bought 10 kettles but once at the place with work etc I didnt get a chance to get out.

Really stupid for a top hotel not to have tea in the room. I made an official complaint about it on checking out! Ah well.

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
10 Apr 2007 1:55 AM by JeansSis Star rating. 2376 posts Send private message

JeansSis´s avatar

Like 0      
10 Apr 2007 3:43 AM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar
Slipped off early to the pub on Sunday then - so that would be about 10 am then

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      
10 Apr 2007 9:26 AM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar
Nah - was just getting in after saturday at 10am. Good girl me and anyway the show started at 11, so had an hour to get ready! 

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
10 Apr 2007 12:08 PM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

bobaol

I have sent you a PM in response to your last post here to me.

Kind regards,

Rixxy

Sounds like you are home sick young lady!

No tea in the room? Disgraceful!

Lucky you had the bottle of vodka to fall back on!

Rgds,

FibbyUK

Check out my website:

Like 0      
10 Apr 2007 7:53 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

OOH,  I was getting all excited there, Fibby,  My first PM.  Errmmm.  How do I read PMs???

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

El Gusto,La Cala village,CDS. - 1 posts
furnishing new built spanish property - 17 posts
Square metres - real or imagined? - 30 posts
car breakdown insurance - 6 posts
Welcome home Janice - 23 posts
Employees! - 35 posts
To become a resident or not - 11 posts
healthcare in spain - 1 posts
moving to spain - 4 posts
London Members Meet - 3 posts
land boundary - 1 posts
Shipping FROM Spain - 0 posts
To use a solicitor/gestoria or not!!!!! - 24 posts
healthcare in spain. - 1 posts
BUYING A NAVE (AGRICULTURAL BUILDING) - 3 posts
Parcels delivery - 3 posts
Just back from spain - current progress - 3 posts
Agent - 2 posts
english films/cinema - 1 posts
My New Home - 9 posts
Agents - 1 posts
sports thread uk football - 2 posts
Has anyone else completed here ? - 5 posts
Estate Agents in spain? - 2 posts
Update on Phase 4 - 22nd october. - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 43

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x