towels sheets etc.

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
30 Jan 2008 7:23 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

150cm bed is a King bed in the UK.

135cm is a matrimonial or 4'6" bed (double)  as we call it here.

So if you want to buy sheets etc here you'll have to get King size.  If you can get the fitted sheets with elastic all round as I don't think the mattresses are as deep as ours.

Like 0      
30 Jan 2008 7:30 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

I don't think the mattresses are as deep as ours.

Semi, that depends on the quality of the Spanish bed you buy as our Spanish bed has a mattress which IS very deep (& OH SO COMFY).

Our bed is KS too.

Like 0      
30 Jan 2008 8:01 PM by flyingcat Star rating in London/Mojacar. 85 posts Send private message

flyingcat´s avatar

whoops, I did not pay attention how deep the mattresses are.

semijubilada,

many thanks for the information.

morerosado,

I did read thread word by word, there are no mention of bed size anywhere. I also went to the dunelm mill website and argos and john lewis, none of them tell me the measurement. just say single, double, or king. and every shops size could be different. Ikea's king is 180 cm x 200 cm.

Like 0      
30 Jan 2008 8:06 PM by flyingcat Star rating in London/Mojacar. 85 posts Send private message

flyingcat´s avatar

Hi, guys,

Since you all are so experienced, can I ask another question which is not about towel.

We need to fit lights for our apartment, two bedroom plus dinning room, kichen, hall way, two bathrooms about 8-10 ceiling lights. If I buy from Spanish lighting shop, would they come to fit all for me?

Many thanks.

Like 0      
30 Jan 2008 8:54 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Hiya Flying cat.

Usually, if you buy a few light fittings, they will put them up free of charge, but obviously you'll have to ask individual shops.

Also, I said that Spanish beds ARE smaller. We bought a very expensive bed but chose a deep mattress so we do get away with UK fitted sheets THOUGH, as I DID say NN fitted are elasticated ALL THE WAY ROUND.

Check the size of your Spanish beds & check size of UK sheets. Only sure way of knowing, unless you take forum's word for it.

Like 0      
30 Jan 2008 10:48 PM by flyingcat Star rating in London/Mojacar. 85 posts Send private message

flyingcat´s avatar

morerosado, thanks.

I will do so, our beds are in the storage with furniture shop right now. Will phone them. We bought an expensive bed as well, hopefull we did chose a thick mattress.  Oh, Spanish knows how to make a good furnitures. The bed is so comfy and beautiful.

Like 0      
30 Jan 2008 11:10 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

Perhaps this might help you to understand about bed sizes.

In UK the sizes are single, double, king and super king. and that translates to 3',4'6,5' and 6'.

In America they have twin, full, queen, king and cal king and that is the same as above + 6'6.

Ikea would appear to be using the same name for their 6' beds as America. 

I get very confused when looking in say the Argos book as I'm used to buying King bedding in America but here it refers to a 5' bed.

Also doesn't help that I'm useless with cm conversion's

Like 0      
22 Feb 2008 7:23 AM by jane b Star rating in Bedar, Almeria. 222 posts Send private message

jane b´s avatar

Hi girls.  I may have missed the boat with this one but for what it is worth I would always buy 100% cotton if you can afford it, and of a reasonable quality whether you buy cotton or polycotton as otherwise the bottom sheet and the pillow cases tend to pill (although that is usually the polycotton).  This is particularly important if you are renting as they will get a lot of use.  Also for renting white is best - 1) you can be quite aggressive with the wine/tea/coffee stain removal with white 2) if some get lost or damaged you don't have to replace the whole set because you can't find a match  - shades change remarkably quickly  and 3) you will be amazed how much colours fade here in the wash

Re the sizes: I find that some fitted sheets are skimpy for their supposed size, whether here or in UK and I often end up buying a larger size than the bed for a better fit

Hope that helps

Jane

This message was last edited by jane b on 2/22/2008.

This message was last edited by jane b on 2/22/2008.

www.fincalaserenidad.com

Like 0      
24 Feb 2008 9:14 AM by weemo Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Hi just reading the posts and really helpful advice re bedding. Where is it you can buy really comfy Spanish beds? Also, I hate IKEA towels, anywhere I can get nice ones near Aguilas or Terreros? Is it a good idea to have separate house and beach towels for guests?

Love to hear from you

Weemo

Like 0      
24 Feb 2008 9:28 AM by jane b Star rating in Bedar, Almeria. 222 posts Send private message

jane b´s avatar

Hi Weemo

I have written extensively on the towels question in under 'towels and bed linen for the rental market'.  If you can't locate it easily, search my posts for 22 February.  It answers most of your towel questions except the Aguilas/Terreros one.  Agree with you about Ikea but if it is for rental I wouldn't spend too much as they do get a real bashing.  Carrefour and Al Campo in Almeria and Eroski in Roquetas all have reasonable quality, good choice of colour, at competitive prices. 

While on the subject, something I forgot to mention in the original post was the question of bathmats.  They are essential (otherwise the towels will be seriously abused!) and they need to wash and wear well, which means the ones that are just sort of thick towel mats, not the sort with backing and definitely not the synthetic sort.  Tumbletwist are super but not a good idea as they are expensive to wash.

Comfy beds: depends a bit on what you call comfy - I like them like a plank!  However, for a good price-quality balance we found Merkamueble (just past Intermarché in Vera) hard to beat.  As you probably know, most of the bases are slatted.  For comfort and long term use it is worth investing in reasonably good ones - where you can alter the firmness of the slats with nifty little gizmos that slide along them.  Unless you are confident that all your guests like to sleep on a board, you should avoid the bases that are completely solid (I happen to love them but wouldn't inflict them on a stranger!).  Merkamueble also have a wide range of mattresses - again it is false economy to go for the cheapest as one of the things that clients notice most is the comfort/quality of the beds and cheap ones need replacing after a couple of years if they get a lot of use.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Jane

This message was last edited by jane b on 2/24/2008.

www.fincalaserenidad.com

Like 0      
24 Feb 2008 2:12 PM by weemo Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Thanks Jane, will  try Vera shop. Will buy bath mats here at home, but so much stuff and so little baggage weight..

Weemo

Like 0      
24 Feb 2008 3:02 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

They sell towelling bath mats in the markets for 2/3 euros, good quality and even with an idiot's guide of two feet in the middle just in case someone's not sure of what to do with them

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Part Loads & Storage - 0 posts
looking to buy in Pego/Monte Pego area. - 1 posts
PET ADVICE? - 9 posts
LONG TERM RENTAL REQUIRED - 3 posts
Festivals in Murcia - 1 posts
Mortman - 11 posts
Camposol sector A - 24 posts
Villamartin, nr Torrevieja/San Miguel new 3 bed 3 bath terraced villa available till end May - 0 posts
Good lawyer in Almeria - 0 posts
Help with Spanish Mortgages... - 23 posts
first timer and not sure what to do !! - 4 posts
Help!...where do I HAVE to visit between Murcia and Seville.... - 4 posts
4+ bed required almunecar - benajarafe - 0 posts
Royal Executive Marbella - 10 posts
Rioja-Properties - 0 posts
hi - 2 posts
buying partner out - 0 posts
Hello - 2 posts
Jim - 4 posts
rapp - 1 posts
Storage Space - 4 posts
Lets Eat in Benijofer - 13 posts
Torremendo - 33 posts
ADMINISTRATION - 4 posts
Send private message to - 7 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 32

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x