Good restaurants in the Duquesa Area

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
22 Dec 2008 4:49 PM by jojan Star rating. 200 posts Send private message

Hello Me the missus and the dog.

Been a bit busy lately but I did start to read your progress on moving to Spain which was very interesting and amusing at times but I have lost my way and not sure of the thread that your journey was posted on could you remind me please so I can catch up.  Hope you are enjoying your move and may I take this opportunity to wish you yours and the dog a happy christmas.

Jojan

Like 0      
02 Jan 2009 8:53 PM by advisor Star rating in London most of the t.... 311 posts Send private message

Anybody any "feedback" (apologies no pun intended) on what restaurants they used in and around Duquesa over Xmas?

Nobody plans to fail, many fail to plan, sadly the result is the same.

Like 0      
02 Jan 2009 10:08 PM by jojan Star rating. 200 posts Send private message

Hi

We used the Straw Donkey for lunch and Slow Boat to China for an evening, we were there between Christmas and New Year.  First time away at that time of year and must say we found the weather a little chilly although we did realise when we returned to England that it was not as cold as we had thought.  Not so many people about as we thought there might be so they must have been spending time in doors.

Jojan

Like 0      
02 Jan 2009 11:26 PM by leema Star rating in Washington Tyne & We.... 655 posts Send private message

Looks like Itzabar has been a big favourite in Sabinillas, it's our  favourite when we are out in Duquesa, but looks like they went overboard on New Years Eve, will be back in a few weeks and see if it's still as good.

Maureen & Dennis

Coto Real

Like 0      
03 Jan 2009 1:43 PM by advisor Star rating in London most of the t.... 311 posts Send private message

Jojan

where is the Straw Donkey-what is the food type etc

Nobody plans to fail, many fail to plan, sadly the result is the same.

Like 0      
03 Jan 2009 4:00 PM by JC1 Star rating in Manchester and La Du.... 963 posts Send private message

JC1´s avatar

Hi

Just back from a quiet and wet Duquesa ( exception of new year)  . Slow Boat was good, indifferent about Jolly Sailor and mexican also good. Must say the prices when converted are on the ridiculous side now. Also new year prices were ridiculous ..€125 each I believe in La Traviata!!  nice place but not that good!!

This message was last edited by JC1 on 1/3/2009.

Regards

John

Like 0      
03 Jan 2009 8:27 PM by jojan Star rating. 200 posts Send private message

Hi Advisor

In the marina If you walk from the Slow Boat to China along the front towards the La Pagolla and past Bar Blue go up the steps and about 50 yards on your right is The Straw Donkey.  The restaurant is owned by a Canadian guy and his wife, they are very friendly and they serve really good size home made portions, we have always found them to be very good value and the food is tasty.

Jojan

Like 0      
03 Jan 2009 11:12 PM by buzylizzie Star rating in Gibraltar, Manilva a.... 192 posts Send private message

buzylizzie´s avatar

Straw Donkey: Excellent Home Made Food - Horrible Canadian Management

We have eaten there for lunch only around 5 times this week (I won't mention last week) - it's Christmas after all.... (and we can sit outside with the pooch......) ..... but- chicken wings with bar-b-q sauce, nachos with cheese, tomato, side dishes of guacamole, sour cream, salsa, spare ribs, patatas bravas, king prawns - pitta breead and houmus -  that's my order! Everyone can pick (as they usually do at mine) but you can have steak, burritos, chilli, chicken, burgers ahhh I'm not going to get on to his home made desserts (we usually bring them home!

But seriously - you can't fault the food - it is just what it says on the menu (and if not speak to Will - the Horrible Canadian Manager......) You really couldn't meet a nicer guy.

Parapiros: Food consistently .... if you're eating in the evevning it's OK for the money (other half loves it - as do many others - but I'm really not that impressed)

Slow Boat - give it a miss and go to the Chinese/Japanese a few doors down from the Oasis Bar - they will cook your food in front of you and you wouldn't believe what they can do with their chop-sticks! Service cannot be faulted, and the food is delicious.

Arroyo Hondo - excellent food, excellent service - typical "Spanish Fayre" and a lot more besides ... booking essential right now it seems - the big CC doesn't affect everyone eh?..When you're here put it on your list ...

San Rafael's - always one of my favourites - good food, good service, excellent prices (or so I am told - lol), and "just down the road"

ItzaBar - they close tonight until 2nd February - fair play to the guys (that's Kevin and Martin) - they really deserve it....

I'm sure there are lots of other places I've omitted to mention but I'm sure you have enough to be going on with..

Like 0      
04 Jan 2009 10:29 AM by jojan Star rating. 200 posts Send private message

OOoooh got a shock then when you said horrible Canadian management until I read further down - yes you couldn't wish to meet a nicer guy, very true.

Next time we are out there we will also try some of the other favourites you mention.

Jojan

Like 0      
07 Jan 2009 8:31 PM by carolinej Star rating. 420 posts Send private message

carolinej´s avatar

We just got back and the weather the last fove days or so has been lovely and sunny.  We enjoyed Itzabar - great value despite the exchange rate.  Green Olive was lovely as ever too and the one in Sabinillas that is as far right as you can go and  on the sea front next to the children't play park, car park and the school (can never remember its name) was great as it always is for seafood, chicken and pasta.  Also had a great new year in Brown's.  50 euros for 4 courses plus half bottle of wine each, welcome cocktail, cava, graptes, party bag and (dodgy) live band.  Very good food and fun and they only charged ten euros for two courses for the kids.

Like 0      
08 May 2011 9:01 PM by jojan Star rating. 200 posts Send private message

Hi

Just noticed when we were in the port last week that the Straw Donkey is no more it is now named Oscars, does anybody know what has happened and what is the new restaurant like?

Jojan

Like 0      
09 May 2011 1:44 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar

Hi Jojan

It is the same owner at Oscars and they are still doing the delicious ribs!  Just a revamp with a new menu, which you can have a look at on one of the posts here.

Looks quite nice  - think we'll be visiting at some point soon!

This message was last edited by Pitby on 09/05/2011.

Like 0      
10 May 2011 8:33 AM by jojan Star rating. 200 posts Send private message

Hi Pitby

That is brilliant news I would have hated to see that he had left us, we will certainly be trying it in a couple of weeks time.

Jojan

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

How to avoid Spanish Inheritance Tax - 25 posts
fire baskets - 0 posts
Not what but where? - 18 posts
hi we are tonden - 2 posts
Meeting - 09/06/07 - 54 posts
Driving from Bilbao to Mar Menor - 11 posts
Directions To the Roman Baths - 4 posts
Good Ladies Clothes Shop - 5 posts
Intercom system - 3 posts
This seems very expensive - 0 posts
Looks like a new way to create funds! - 6 posts
Spanish Banking Ombudsman - 37 posts
Completion?-but have to pay 4000 euros for insurance??? - 6 posts
can this business work in spain???? - 6 posts
dont just sit there - 2 posts
Hi - 3 posts
PET FREE COMMUNITY - 4 posts
Directions to Manilva required - 0 posts
golf clubs in Murcia - 10 posts
manilva beach - 2 posts
Traveling to Spain from Bulgaria with new dog - 0 posts
Did you pay CGT Capital Gain Tax (mod 212) between 2003 and 2006 ? - 0 posts
Looking for a fiscal representitive... - 11 posts
What do you all think of..... - 14 posts
NEW MORTGAGE ALERT - 11 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 93

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x