The British have been warned to cancel Spanish and Portuguese holidays.

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
24 Jul 2024 2:26 PM by windtalker Star rating. 1946 posts Send private message

I am reading every day that the British are no longer welcome in Spain or Portugal.. I am aware that the British are no longer buying property in the Spain.. and I think it's only a matter of time before the British Residents and Holiday home owners are forced to sell up... due to this anti British sentiment. 

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/travel/portugal-joins-spain-warns-uk-29596197

Like 1      
25 Jul 2024 10:25 PM by acer Star rating. 1534 posts Send private message

I have to disagree Windtaker - True, there have been demonstrations, but these were largely directed towards the fact that Spanish youngsters struggle to get onto the property ladder in many of the larger cities.  But the fact is that most Brits do not want to live in the cities - they usually prefer places like Camposol.

You say ..."and I think it's only a matter of time before the British Residents and Holiday home owners are forced to sell up... due to this anti British sentiment"...I've not encountered anything of this, certainly nothing at all that is aimed purely against Brits. 

I really cannot see the "...forced to sell up..." comment - just who do you reckon will be doing the forcing?  That would be a massive U turn.

Like 0      
27 Jul 2024 5:38 PM by windtalker Star rating. 1946 posts Send private message

Acer the Spanish have already started with a ban on Golden Visas .. the Spanish will probably follow  the Portuguese model that has banned Golden Visas and Digital Nomad Visas and put restrictions on buying holiday and residential home in certain locations for 3rd country nationals.. I can see this happening in Spain... you can disagree all you like this is what coming in the near future in Spain and it's not down to tourism it down to a massive Spanish population growth all you needto do is lookat the immigration figures to Spain... incidentally I sold my villa on Camposol 10 years ago.. according to my friend that lives full-time on Camposol He says that  no British are  buying on Camposol and the place is dead  compared to what it use to be.

This message was last edited by windtalker on 7/27/2024.

Like 0      
28 Jul 2024 12:13 AM by acer Star rating. 1534 posts Send private message

Hello Windtaker,

I should say that I'm probably out of date on the Golden visa but I thought it only applied to purchases in excess of €500,000 - which, if so would surely rule out 90 odd% or so of the purchases made?  Also surely the other nationals are largely only catching up with the number of Brits already here. 

So I'm not convinced - but I do know not to believe in what you read in the newspapers.  It's like a game they play, particularly in the taboids - one starts a rumour, then another repeats it and before too long it's headline news - manufactured by them as presumably it's thought likely to sell newspapers.  Their ethical standards are on a par with politicians - so personally I never believe a word of whatever they say.

On this subject I really struggle to see the reason why the Spanish/Portugese would want us to leave.  We pay them a lot of money and invariably most restaurants we visit are full of Brits - more of us than any other nationality in the tourist areas.   W/o us many would go bust and we tip generously too - many times more than the locals!.   It's true that a few  Brits are an embarressment, they cannot take their pop and misbehave - but in my many years here I've never seen that at all in mainland Spain.  So I'm a bit sceptical.

Like 0      
28 Jul 2024 11:27 AM by windtalker Star rating. 1946 posts Send private message

Acer the area I have a Villa in is Los Balcones on the Costa Blanca myself and my son have villas there you will pay a minimum of €280,000 for a 

2 bed new build apartment and the 3 bed basic villas start at €395,000 it's is not unusual to see villas in my location up for sale for  €1 million +++++  so the €500,000 golden visa isn't a deterrent  .as you know I am a holiday home owner that obviously has a property in the UK the property I live in I had built 7 years ago  is now worth in excess of £500,000 ... I not to sure what the equivalent  is in euros but it is certainly more than enough for the Golden visa which is probably the reason behind Spain and Portugal dropping  it .. as for the NLV approximately 1,800 British citezens applied for this in the year 2021 to 2022 the Spanish government haven't released the figures for 2022 to 2023 as of yet this seams to be a bit of a failure for the Spanish government  hence the reason Brits have stopped buying.. I think it's mainly down to the amount  of money 💰  required to live in Spain as a resident as a single person you would need 28,800  per  year plus have a private health insurance.. or for a couple it's approximately €37 ,000 disposable plus private health insurance if you are  under UK retirement age .. if you are of  UK  retirement age you still need the sa.e amount of disposable income but you don't  need a private health insurance ... this amount of money 💰 is beyond what the vast  majority of UK pensioners have as a disposable income hence the reason Brits don't buy in Spain. 

Like 0      
28 Jul 2024 1:32 PM by acer Star rating. 1534 posts Send private message

Windtaker,

I agree that some of obstacles that the Spanish have erected will deter a lot of Brits from seeking residency, but my comments were more about the suggestion that the "boot was on the other foot" ie Brits were being kicked out".

I'm not too well placed to debate the detail as I prefert to remain outside the Spanish tax system, just too much of a chore to do otherwise, as it all seems exceedingly woolly and not worth the effort of doing otherwise.  I could be wrong, but consequently I've lacked the incentive to keep up to speed on the subject and resigned to the non res status, schengen etc

But I've always admired the Spanish and their culture - very pragmatic folk and therefore I cannot see why their motive for giving us the boot.  The Portugese even more so, where there are long established alliances.  I believe we are seen by them far more favourably than you suggest.

Like 0      
28 Jul 2024 2:31 PM by windtalker Star rating. 1946 posts Send private message

Acer I wouldn't say the Spanish are prepared to fiscally through  the British out.. but I think they will place more obstacles in the way of British people especially  the brits that are applying for a NLV ... currently a couple need approximately €37,000 per year for a Spanish NLV ... the silly thing is you need this amount of disposable money 💰 even if you own a property outright this just doesn't make any sense at all especially when its going to cost a minimum of €750 per month rent on a small apartment...allowing would be renters also puts a strain on the rental market shutting locals out and forcing up the rents. 

This message was last edited by windtalker on 7/28/2024.

Like 0      
04 Aug 2024 5:13 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

I tend not to read or take notice of the newspapers but today one report said the Brits are sticking two fingers up to the Spanish and still going on holiday there, two weeks ago i took a grand daughter to Stanstead for a flight at 3 am, the place was heaving, picked them up at 6 pm week later still the same.

The paper also mentioned the billions of EUROS spent in Spain up to now this year, something like 65billion.

I honestly believe that Spain does not want the scum that go there to drink and cause trouble, like they do, they want good holiday makers and good house buyers to spend spend spend.

I anyone cares to watch any holiday show on TV all you see are the faces we know walking about,  now stop this lot and what have you, empty bars, shops, and so on, as for buying villas etc, yeah bet they want that also to be stopped.

The world doesnt evolve around Brits we know, but it likes our money.

And to be honest if business's started to close down due to loss of holiday income and Spanish lost these jobs they wouldnt be able to buy any empty villas or house's anyway because thousands would be going after the few available jobs they do have going.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Software Developer looking for work in Spain‏‏ - 3 posts
Discover the True Spain: Residential Tourism in Cádiz - 0 posts
NAVIGATING UNCERTAINTY: The Future of Golden Visas in Spain - 0 posts
Supreme Court Ruling on Temporary Residency - 0 posts
Costaluz/Maria de Castro´s website renewal and Latest Legal News - 0 posts
Exterior white tile paint - 1 posts
Anyone seen Peter and Lorraine Braid - 1 posts
Supreme Court Ruling on Mortgage Expenses: What You Need to Know - 4 posts
Community of owners not set up - 3 posts
Barcelona or Madrid - 6 posts
Spain's 2025 regularization: A new pathway for undocumented residents - 2 posts
Location advice - 2 posts
Employment Law - 2 posts
Seeking help in Rhonda - 3 posts
reco for basic IPTV - 1 posts
Rentals in Sabinillas - 1 posts
Please can someone help - offer contract 500 euros to start negotiations? - 5 posts
Buying an off-plan apartment - 12 posts
Sold a Property now where's our money? - 1 posts
Closing a bank account with Cajasur Bank - 2 posts
Hoja de reclamations - 5 posts
INGOFERSA SL - 2024 GARRUCHA - 0 posts
Photos - 1 posts
Does anyone regret their holiday home purchase? - 9 posts
¡Hola España! Newbie Alert 🌞 - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 8

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x